May 26, 2010

Coming Soon...


Just for kicks, I thought I might do a brief mid-week update, based on new and soon-to-be releases I'm looking forward to (in no particular order):










1. Letters to Juliet - Sure, critics call it a cliché, comfortable, predictable film, and I did doubt Amanda Seyfried's ability to move beyond "It's like I have ESPN or something!" but amazingly she has, and I kind of love her now, particularly after Jennifer's Body (terrible, but wonderful!). By all accounts, Seyfried carries the movie and she's kind of delightful to watch. Check out this article on Jezebel for some history on the real thing.

2. Kick-Ass - Generally I have pretty luke-warm feelings when it comes to action/superhero movies, but I think the 11-year-old assassin in this one will make for a very interesting 2 hours. And while I've read several spoiler-filled reviews (which is probably a good thing, as now I'll know at which points I should cover my eyes) it's still at the top of my list! Read this: In Defense of Hit Girl.






3. The Runaways - Yes, yes, Kristen Stewart is Bella Swan. Let's get past that and rock on. I mean really, Joan Jett is just kind of awesome. She and Cherie Currie paved the way for pretty much every female artist since as far as possessing and capitalizing on female sexuality, from Madonna to riot grrrls of the 90's, and to Lady Gaga today.







4. Easy A - It's not in theaters 'til September 17, but already this modern-day take on The Scarlet Letter is getting a significant amount of attention from my favorite blog. Starring Emma Stone, Easy A looks to be a "literary update [similar to that] used by Amy Hekerling in Clueless" and I am giddy as a school girl to see it. However, I would like Penn Badgley to get his fat head out of there.





5. Eclipse - I know, I know, Twilight is a terrible habit - which I refuse to kick. I can't wait to tear into Alice again, because I'm pretty sure Jessica will only be present for .02 seconds. It comes out right before I leave for the Balkans, (oh yeah, I'll totally be there opening night) so it will be the last movie I review before going on a 5 week hiatus during which I will be focusing my efforts on immersing myself in a new culture, and I would be quite upset with myself if I spent too much time with American media.


No comments:

Post a Comment